Thursday, October 11, 2007

Enchanted April- 4/2/2007




4/2/2007

Erev Pesach- Passover Eve, Israel.

My mom likes cooking for an army troupe, although there are not that many of us. She made chicken soup in this huge pot I've only seen in industrial kitchens.

There is so much food...and wine...for those of you not familiar with Passover (especially those who think we drink blood and stuff like that....LOL), we drink four glasses of wine, and eat, and read the Haggadah, and sing. And dance (maybe that is just a Ron family custom. Works well when you're drunk. Highly recommended.)

It has become so "in" to hate the holiday family gatherings. It's really uncool to like it. But what can I do, I can't help it. I love my family and I always loved celebrating the holidays with everyone here. And being in NY all these years made me appreciate it even more. So yes, I admit it, I'm not gonna lie: I have waited for Pesach, for the holiday atmosphere, for the coming together of the family, for the hussle and bussle everywhere in the stores, for the holiday calls, text messages and emails, for the songs on the radio, for the food, for the loud drunk "table" songs, for my nephew singing "Ma Nishtana", for the message of this holiday- coming out of slavery=Freedom + Spring Spring Spring. Yes, Passover's second name is "Festival of Spring", and to me the combination of spring and unchaining ourselves of whatever is obstructing us and inhibiting us, is an exciting way to celebrate my own religion and culture, that has pretty cool messages and symbols. People have different versions of celebrating Jewish holidays, and I think it's a lot more versatile here in Israel than anywhere else in the world (I'll elaborate on that some other time), maybe we're less "chained" to rigid tradition (I'm refering to secular Israelis, which is most of us here), I don't know. But anyway, there's nothing like feeling the holiday in the air, which I can never take for granted as there is no other place in the world where you can actually feel it in the air.

I'm rambling all over the place and I have some cooking to do. (I'm in charge of salads if you insist)

I've been getting emails about falling in love with Israel through my blog so I thought... why not... I'll tell more about what's it like over here.

More to come soon.

Happy Spring to All!!!

Permalink | Trackback


Comments (1) Add Comment


Re: Enchanted April

By johnicomehome on 4/3/2007

One of the most exciting descriptions of Passover atmosphere. I wish myself next passover in Israel.

No comments: