Thursday, October 11, 2007

Beaufort- 3/21/2007

Beaufort



3/21/2007

I finally saw "Beaufort" last night. I have been following the intense PR, festival victories and this loaded subject matter. Oh, God, this was not a popcorn flick... It was hard to watch, it made me squirm in my seat every 5 minutes, and yes, it made me cry more than once (shut up- I hardly cry in movies!!).

If it's playing near you (and it WILL, especially after winning Berlin Festival), go see it. Be prepared for a bit of a painful ride, but I really think this movie is important. It depicts a specific time in a specific place in very recent history, and it opens a window to a world most of us are not exposed to. Having lived both in Israel and in the States, it reminded me of how surreal it is- 18 year old guys, kids who in America get to party in college- experience a completely different type of reality here in Israel. And it doesn't matter that a lot of them are not "fighters" or combat soldiers like those in the movie, it's still so .... strange, and sad.

Growing up in Israel you're always told by your parents: "when you're 18, you won't go to the army cuz there won't be an army anymore".... we keep hoping and we'll never stop dreaming.

"Beaufort" bravely emphasizes how young these soldiers were, they were (and are) just kids. People all over the world, who are only fed by the media when it comes to Israel, should watch this film. It is much closer to reality than any news report.

I have been away from here for a long time, and find myself feeling torn between my Israeli and American identity, but this movie filled me with this Israeli air as I have not experienced lately. We are so weird, we are so absurd, but we are also very special and should be proud of who we are and of what we stand for. No state in the world is like Israel (lucky them...), and I hope the world understands us better, soon. Maybe this movie will open an eye or two.

nuff patriotic gush for one day.

Permalink | Trackback


Comments (1) Add Comment


Re: Beaufort

By Dana on 3/24/2007

Hey Girl,
Love your new and updated website!
Didn't hear about this film. I'll take your word for it though.
:))

No comments: